05 Apr EDC’s small step into the area of environment protection and climate change adaptation education
Recently, EDC took part in planning workshop and moderators training workshop of Lao-German cooperation project called ProCEEd – Promotion of Climate-related Environmental Education.
This project is executed by Ministry of National Resources and Environment (MONRE) with technical support from GIZ. The main objective of this project is to improve knowledge, attitudes and behaviour with respect to the environment, biodiversity and climate change in Laos through communication and education.
The planning workshop was held on the 3 – 4 April 2013. Mr. Khampadith Khammounheuang, Director General of Department of Environment Quality Promotion (DEQP) and Mme Petra Mutlu, Country Director of GIZ honored chaired official opening of this workshop.
There were almost 60 participants from different relevant organisations, which are counterparts and stakeholders of ProCEEd. They are, for instance, representatives from EDQP and other departments of MONRE, Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism, Mass Organisations (LWU, Youth Union), Ministry of Education and Sport, National University of Laos, some international organisations (IUCN), INGOs and NPA (KAMKID, PADETC), etc.
After two days of intensive work with active participation from all participants, the workshop was able to achieve the set objectives. With guidance from the DEQP and ProCEEd project, the two EDC moderators were able to effectively design and steer the discussion process. All participants/stakeholders as well as the organizers (DEQP and ProCEEd) were satisfied with the results. The prominent results were:
- Increased knowledge about DEQP/ProCEEd progress, Inventory of Climate-change related Environmental Education and Awareness activities and resources in Laos, Results of the Study on Knowledge-Attitude-Practice (KAP) on Environmental Awareness as well as current status of curricula and practical training at the IVET schools with regards to environment and climate protection and awareness components.
- Participant group’s ideas, drafting EEC strategies and activities related to Mass Media, Non-formal Education and EETC, including plan to suggested plan for using Environmental Bus
- Participant group’s suggested ideas on practical activities that can be implemented at the IVET school with regard to environmental and climate change protection and awareness
- Suggested ideas on draft process for revision of National Environmental Education and Awareness Strategy and Action Plan.
Apart from this workshop, EDC trainer also took part as co-facilitator/translator to in training workshop on “Moderation and Visualization for Group Event” together with lead consultant from Germany. This workshop aimed at increasing participant’s knowledge and skills on:
- basic concepts, methods and tools of facilitating group events, particularly moderation and visualization, including training evaluation methods and tools
- moderation and visualization methods and tools
- how to design, plan and script future events,
- the role of a facilitator or moderator in group events,
- the limits and potential of MOVE for environmental education and communication in Laos.
There were 15 young and energetic participants. They actively participated in the discussion, group work and several learning exercises.
At the end of the workshop, the participants indicated significant increase in group event facilitation skills, skill on how to work in team and knowledge and skills on visualization. Majority of the participants were very satisfied with the trainers/ facilitators, training facilities, contents and opportunities to actively participate throughout the workshop. The trained participants will definitely use gained knowledge and skills in further provide education and raise awareness about environment protection and climate change adaptation.